Petal to the Metal

Today was filled with little projects for Beezus. First, we sanded down his rusty bits and gave them a new coat of paint (he needed it!). 3 cans of black rust-proofing paint later and he’s looking pretty lovely. After that, we took apart all of the petals, which ended up being more of a chore than it sounded. Fabric is difficult to remove when it rusts onto something! But we did it! Afterwards, we measured out a lovely little template for the new petals we’ll be making. Take a peek!

IMG_20150531_215523

Now to order 12 yards of pink and purple spandex. Stay tuned.

2 build days, 1 weekend

Phew! We were pretty busy at the warehouse this past weekend.

Build day 1: Steering/pedals
On Friday, we decided to try to wrap up the steering column extension, as well as get the extensions for the gas and brake pedals going. We started the day with our trusty engineering pal Dave fitting a custom piece for the steering wheel spline to weld up top, which we did at his shop in Alameda. Then it was off to NIMBY to fit the new part! We adjusted the angle of the steering column, welded it into place, and attached the steering wheel.

Then came the pedal extensions! We measured and cut extensions from out leftover square tubing that made up the frame. After a quick run to the local metals shop to get some heavy duty hinges, we were able to fashion some new pedals! We didn’t have the bolts we needed to attach them to the original pedals down below, but we got pretty darn close!

beezus (ish) 006 beezus (ish) 019 beezus (ish) 023Day 2: Carpentry
On Sunday, our other friend Dave and the lovely Beeker came to tackle the woodwork. We cut and measured the remaining panels that make up the floor of the car. Then, it was time to bolt it all down! We made a Home Depot run to grab some self-tapping screws, and then made short work of that part of the project! We were also able to start the frame of the bar. It’s not finished yet, but it’s off to a solid start! We’re hoping to wrap up the carpentry before next week’s fundraiser!Beezus 011 Beezus 012 Beezus 021

Welding and Templates

Another solid day under our belt! Thanks to my wonderful friend Paul “Savage,” we were able to finish weld nearly everything on the car. Beezus 010

The only remaining welding projects are re-welding the seat on the inside of the car, and the steering column. We’re holding off on the steering column until we get it placed exactly where we want it. A comfortable drive is key!

While Savage was hard at work on the welding, Beeker and I made some templates for fabric! Something like 10 panels in all to cover the outside- a combination of spandex and fur. Now it’s time to start sourcing for good deals!

Beezus 005 Beezus 014

The structural part of Beezus is nearing completion! Then, it’s on to all of the pretty stuff (fabric, lights, sound, etc). Huzzah! Next week: carpentry!

Welding the Floor

So this weekend, we didn’t get as much welding done as I had hoped. My friend and master welder was injured, and is out of commission for a while. I had been scrambling around for a bit to find a welder to at least help with the floor beams, since we needed that to happen before we could start putting the floor panels in. Luckily, a fellow NIMBY tenant named Gary offered to help! We spent some time measuring, cutting, and angle grinding the beams to make sure everything was solid. And then- welding! We didn’t get past the floor beams since his welder isn’t quite heavy duty enough, but hey! Progress! Since it was just 2 of us, no pictures this week. We’ll have some more next time though!

Flooring and filming

On June 2nd, we started a few new parts of the project!

First came the filming. So everyone knows, I’m awkward. I’m okay with it, but being in front of the camera is not my favorite thing. But hey. You gotta do what you gotta do. Luckily, my friend Mike offered to help me out by filming for me. We ran into some technical difficulties with setup and sound, but we made it work! Thankfully Mike is a patient man. Soon we’ll have a video and the Kickstarter will be up and running!

Next came starting to build out the floor. Thanks to the help of carpenter extraordinaire Dave “Scorpio,” We were able to template and cut some of the panels that will eventually become the floor of Beezus to haul all of our lovely bee-lievers around. And our lovely miss Kerri-Ann took lots of measurements for fabric.

Next time- more welding!IMG_5844 IMG_5858 IMG_5874

More Building

Today we did some more work on the body of Beezus.

The first half of the morning was errand-running. We picked up some adapters so that we could use the welder (pretty important), some steel for fabricating the wings and antennae, and a seat for driving Beezus around! We thought about buying a newer seat, but ended up deciding that taking an old seat out of a car at the junk yard was a better bet. Re-use!

Once we got to the shop, we had lots of small kinks to work out. getting the adapters in working order, and removing the steering column was proving to be pretty difficult! Luckily, NIMBY is full of Burners and other handy creative types that came to help us out. It’s amazing what you can accomplish with teamwork!

At the end of the day, we had the wings and antennae fabricated (but not attached), the chair mounted, the steps put in, and the steering column removed.. Not too shabby! Next weekend we’re hoping to finish all of the structural elements of Beezus. Then on to the pretty stuff!Beezus 015 Beezus 017 Beezus 025

Steel!

The steel for the Beezus frame has officially been purchased! 15 3/4″ x 1/8″ pieces of flatbar and 10 1 & 1/2″ 14g square pieces. Each of them are 20 feet long! Our dear friend and master builder Alex Nolan is rolling the steel to shape the frame as we speak. Soon, the welding will begin! We can’t wait to show all of you the progress!