We’re back to it! Beezus is out of hibernation and we’re buzzing along getting him gussied up for another year on the playa. Our first goal this year was to outfit him with new fancy lights. The past 2 years we’ve had simple rope light strands, so we figured it was upgrade time. We decided to go with RGB LED lights. We ended up going against individually addressable ones (they were a little excessive for what we were looking for), but they’re still programmable and will be doing some lovely color fades! The stripes, flower petals, and grass will all have lights that will add a whole new dimension to our lovely little bee. Here’s some shots of the process!
Oh, and stay tuned for lots more! We’ll be ramping up a new fundraising campaign here soon!
This past Monday we made it to one of the more challenging (not to mention crucial) parts of Beezus- the steering. If you’re going to drive around a giant bee, naturally you have to sit on top of it. We mounted the driver’s seat on top the week before and managed to get the original steering column prepped. Now it was time to re-route everything to the top. Luckily we had the genius of Dave Gertler and Alex Nolan to help solve that problem. Alex scored us some amazing hardware, and Dave spent his time at the shop fabricating the pieces that would connect our system. Kerri Ann and I helped sand some poles. And supervised of course ;).
Aside from the steering issue, we managed to measure and cut the support beams that will hold up the floor of Beezus. I think that I’m beginning to master the chop saw!
While we didn’t quite finish the steering column reroute, we got damn close! But a 10 hour work day is more than enough. Next time, kids. Next time.
Today we did some more work on the body of Beezus.
The first half of the morning was errand-running. We picked up some adapters so that we could use the welder (pretty important), some steel for fabricating the wings and antennae, and a seat for driving Beezus around! We thought about buying a newer seat, but ended up deciding that taking an old seat out of a car at the junk yard was a better bet. Re-use!
Once we got to the shop, we had lots of small kinks to work out. getting the adapters in working order, and removing the steering column was proving to be pretty difficult! Luckily, NIMBY is full of Burners and other handy creative types that came to help us out. It’s amazing what you can accomplish with teamwork!
At the end of the day, we had the wings and antennae fabricated (but not attached), the chair mounted, the steps put in, and the steering column removed.. Not too shabby! Next weekend we’re hoping to finish all of the structural elements of Beezus. Then on to the pretty stuff!
Today we received 2 deliveries of honey! We now have clover, alfalfa, and orange blossom honey from Bordin Bees in Chico, CA, as well as purple aster honey from Bees n’ Blossoms in Providence Forge, VA!
Our amazingly talented master welder Alex has been rocking out the basic frame for Beezus. Today, a few of us were able to get down to NIMBY to bust out some more work! We were able to tac weld on most of the frame. It’s looking bee-utiful!