Petal to the Metal

Today was filled with little projects for Beezus. First, we sanded down his rusty bits and gave them a new coat of paint (he needed it!). 3 cans of black rust-proofing paint later and he’s looking pretty lovely. After that, we took apart all of the petals, which ended up being more of a chore than it sounded. Fabric is difficult to remove when it rusts onto something! But we did it! Afterwards, we measured out a lovely little template for the new petals we’ll be making. Take a peek!

IMG_20150531_215523

Now to order 12 yards of pink and purple spandex. Stay tuned.

Advertisements

Heart Transplant #1

So as it turns out, even benevolent bee saviors can have health issues. A few weeks ago, Beezus suddenly stopped running. What to do?!

Our first thought was that maybe his poor little batteries were tired. So we let him charge up for a while. No dice.

Next thought was an issue with some of the original wiring as some of it was fairly corroded. After a lot of fiddling around with the multimeter, we decided that wasn’t it either. Which left one last thing…

The motor. We set to work taking it apart, and determined that the brushes had burnt out and broke, and that the commutator was past being salvageable.

TIME FOR A HEART TRANSPLANT!

Fortunately the space where Beezus lives (NIMBY) can be a great place to find old parts, and SuperDave happened to have an old motor from another utility vehicle lying around. We just had to detach it from the axle. This actually ended up being more of an adventure than we had originally anticipated, but after a lot of tinkering and a lot of motor oil getting on basically everything, we managed to make it happen. Ta-Da!
IMG_20150503_163023237
Then came the process of putting the new(er) motor in Beezus. The replacement was slightly bigger, so making it fit was a bit of a challenge. Then came the process of trying to fit the chain back on. We had hoped to do this without taking everything apart, but no such luck. So off came the brake drum and the casing around the chain. Lots more tinkering. Lots more oil. Lots more fun tools.

Tinker time

Tinker time


Eventually, we got the motor in and connected! Then it was time to actually try to run the bee again. SO I pushed down on the gas pedal and… nothing. Wires were connected wrong. Oops! Tried again. AND IT WORKED! Sort of? We managed to get the motor running and wheels turning, but we ran into a slight issue. The new(er) motor had a bad bearing. Siiiiiigh. Well at least we’ll be ready for the next one!

More updates on heart transplant number 2 here soon!

Steampunk Masquerade Ball

Tonight we’ll bee back in action at one of our favorite events- the Steampunk Masquerade Ball at NIMBY! We’ll get to test out our new lights in the company of some of the best art cars, djs, and installations in the Bay Area. Even the Flaming Lotus Girls’ Serpent Mother will be there! We can’t wait to serve some honey up and get silly with all of you! Come say hi!11076275_673194376120073_7974816524177871038_n

Precompression was a great success!

Sweet Beezus. What a night. Smiles for miles over here.

We rolled into NIMBY at 3 and got Beezus all prettified and placed just in time for doors. The honey bar was stocked and we were so excited to share with all of you lovely people. What a success! We might so many wonderful new friends and shared our honey from around the world! San Francisco local honey was a favorite once again, and Morocco was a super big hit with it’s distinct flavors. We literally had people coming up saying that people told them to try the Moroccan honey! I can’t believe how much we went through. So ready to do it over and over again on the playa though.

img_5961

Photo by Bluefox- http://www.smugmug.com

img_6256

Photo by Bluefox- http://www.smugmug.com

<3!